These Southern Fried Potato Wedges are not, as the name suggests, deep fried. They are par-boiled potatoes, tossed in southern-fried seasoning (among other things) and then roasted in the oven. As most of the cooking time takes place in the oven, you are free to get on with other things, namely making a great vegan dish to accompany these delicious wedges.
Southern-Fried Potato Wedges
- 1 ½ kg potatoes skin left on
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tsp southern fried seasoning
- 1 tsp smoky BBQ seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp paprika
- 3 tsp course cornmeal flour polenta
- A good grind of black pepper
- First wash the potatoes in cold water, then cut each potato in half and each half into large wedges. Cook the potatoes in a saucepan with a lid in about an inch or water, so that they steam. Let them steam for about 7 minutes, but keep an eye on them. You just want them part-cooked. Drain them, then allow them to cool enough to handle.
- Preheat the oven to gas 7/220C/425F.
- Put the part-cooked potatoes into a large mixing bowl and add all of the other ingredients. Toss the potatoes thoroughly in the spices and oil, until they are evenly coated.
- Now lay the potatoes out onto a large, lipped baking tray or roasting tin. Cook in the middle of the oven for 30-35 minutes, then take them out and gently turn them with a spatula. Cook for another 30-35 minutes. Transfer them to the top of the oven for the last 15-20 minutes, to make sure they crispen up.
- Serve on their own or as a side to another dish.